"THE PAST SHOULD SIMPLY STAY IN THE PAST"
I am rubbish at taking this piece of advice strongly enough.
40% of my thoughts are based on dwelling on my past and the future.
A complete waste of time.
I thought maybe I should compile a list of steps for myself as a reminder that the PAST is called the PAST for a reason.
My (hopefully helpful to myself at the very least) list of ways to stop yourself dwelling on the past:
- Remind yourself that no matter how many times you think over past memories you cannot change them. They are done. Finished. Over. A closed chapter.
- Write it down - grab a piece of paper and a pen and let the words flow. Sometimes I have noticed that writing things down gives a sense of closure, that you are set free from the past because it is no longer in your head but rather safely down on paper.
I can also guarantee you that if you give poetry a shot in those moments, you will end up with a masterpiece of a poem that you will be proud to have written.
- Remember that everything that happens is in your Qadr, it was predestined, so do not kick yourself over it - just learn.
- As mentioned in a previous post, keep yourself busy!
- Try to work out why you are still dwelling on the past. Is it because you have left a problem unresolved? Why not try to fix it. Is it something someone has said to upset you? Or has there been a misunderstanding? If there is a solution to the dwelling, go ahead with it. Better than drowning yourself in it.
- Think positive - At the end of the day, you are the one in control of yourself, you are the only one that can decide if you want to be happy or not. You decide if you want to dwell on the past or not. Your choice.
- Tell yourself 'enough is enough' - when you find yourself over-thinking the past, you need to be able to put a stop to it straightaway. Being mentally strong e.g. thinking positively, will help you put an end to the dwelling.
Obviously everyone spends some time stressing over past events and so forth, you just have to know when it is becoming unhealthy if for example, you are spending endless nights awake over it. But you should definitely know that there is always someone who will listen to you if you need to let it out, and if not I totally encourage putting it down in words.
Let's hope that I take this advice on board fully or else I am being absolutely no help to myself, got to always keep striving till the end!
P.S. I like how the above quote puts things into perspective, that today is what really matters, the 'now' is when you can make the changes you want to make, and that the past cannot be remade in any way.